1. In the eighth month of the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to Zechariah the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet, saying,
2. “The LORD has been very angry with your fathers.
3. “Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts: “Return to Me,” says the LORD of hosts, “and I will return to you,” says the LORD of hosts.
4. “Do not be like your fathers, to whom the former prophets preached, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts: “Turn now from your evil ways and your evil deeds.” ‘ But they did not hear nor heed Me,” says the LORD.
5. “Your fathers, where [are] they? And the prophets, do they live forever?
6. Yet surely My words and My statutes, Which I commanded My servants the prophets, Did they not overtake your fathers? “So they returned and said: ‘Just as the LORD of hosts determined to do to us, According to our ways and according to our deeds, So He has dealt with us.’ ” ‘ ”
7. On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, which is the month Shebat, in the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to Zechariah the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet:
8. I saw by night, and behold, a man riding on a red horse, and it stood among the myrtle trees in the hollow; and behind him [were] horses: red, sorrel, and white.
9. Then I said, “My lord, what [are] these?” So the angel who talked with me said to me, “I will show you what they [are.”]
10. And the man who stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, “These [are the ones] whom the LORD has sent to walk to and fro throughout the earth.”
11. So they answered the Angel of the LORD, who stood among the myrtle trees, and said, “We have walked to and fro throughout the earth, and behold, all the earth is resting quietly.”
12. Then the Angel of the LORD answered and said, “O LORD of hosts, how long will You not have mercy on Jerusalem and on the cities of Judah, against which You were angry these seventy years?”
13. And the LORD answered the angel who talked to me, [with] good [and] comforting words.
14. So the angel who spoke with me said to me, “Proclaim, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts: “I am zealous for Jerusalem And for Zion with great zeal.
15. I am exceedingly angry with the nations at ease; For I was a little angry, And they helped — [but] with evil [intent.”]
16. ‘Therefore thus says the LORD: “I am returning to Jerusalem with mercy; My house shall be built in it,” says the LORD of hosts, “And a [surveyor’s] line shall be stretched out over Jerusalem.” ‘
17. “Again proclaim, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts: “My cities shall again spread out through prosperity; The LORD will again comfort Zion, And will again choose Jerusalem.” ‘ ”
18. Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there [were] four horns.
19. And I said to the angel who talked with me, “What [are] these?” So he answered me, “These [are] the horns that have scattered Judah, Israel, and Jerusalem.”
20. Then the LORD showed me four craftsmen.
21. And I said, “What are these coming to do?” So he said, “These [are] the horns that scattered Judah, so that no one could lift up his head; but the craftsmen are coming to terrify them, to cast out the horns of the nations that lifted up [their] horn against the land of Judah to scatter it.”