1. He who scatters has come up before your face. Man the fort! Watch the road! Strengthen [your] flanks! Fortify [your] power mightily.
2. For the LORD will restore the excellence of Jacob Like the excellence of Israel, For the emptiers have emptied them out And ruined their vine branches.
3. The shields of his mighty men [are] made red, The valiant men [are] in scarlet. The chariots [come] with flaming torches In the day of his preparation, And the spears are brandished.
4. The chariots rage in the streets, They jostle one another in the broad roads; They seem like torches, They run like lightning.
5. He remembers his nobles; They stumble in their walk; They make haste to her walls, And the defense is prepared.
6. The gates of the rivers are opened, And the palace is dissolved.
7. It is decreed: She shall be led away captive, She shall be brought up; And her maidservants shall lead [her] as with the voice of doves, Beating their breasts.
8. Though Nineveh of old [was] like a pool of water, Now they flee away. “Halt! Halt!” [they cry;] But no one turns back.
9. Take spoil of silver! Take spoil of gold! [There is] no end of treasure, Or wealth of every desirable prize.
10. She is empty, desolate, and waste! The heart melts, and the knees shake; Much pain [is] in every side, And all their faces are drained of color.
11. Where [is] the dwelling of the lions, And the feeding place of the young lions, Where the lion walked, the lioness [and] lion’s cub, And no one made [them] afraid?
12. The lion tore in pieces enough for his cubs, Killed for his lionesses, Filled his caves with prey, And his dens with flesh.
13. ” Behold, I [am] against you,” says the LORD of hosts, “I will burn your chariots in smoke, and the sword shall devour your young lions; I will cut off your prey from the earth, and the voice of your messengers shall be heard no more.”