1. Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the fish’s belly.
2. And he said: “I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, And He answered me. “Out of the belly of Sheol I cried, [And] You heard my voice.
3. For You cast me into the deep, Into the heart of the seas, And the floods surrounded me; All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
4. Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight; Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5. The waters surrounded me, [even] to my soul; The deep closed around me; Weeds were wrapped around my head.
6. I went down to the moorings of the mountains; The earth with its bars [closed] behind me forever; Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD, my God.
7. “When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; And my prayer went [up] to You, Into Your holy temple.
8. “Those who regard worthless idols Forsake their own Mercy.
9. But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation [is] of the LORD.”
10. So the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry [land.]