1. “When Israel [was] a child, I loved him, And out of Egypt I called My son.
2. [As] they called them, So they went from them; They sacrificed to the Baals, And burned incense to carved images.
3. “I taught Ephraim to walk, Taking them by their arms; But they did not know that I healed them.
4. I drew them with gentle cords, With bands of love, And I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck. I stooped [and] fed them.
5. ” He shall not return to the land of Egypt; But the Assyrian shall be his king, Because they refused to repent.
6. And the sword shall slash in his cities, Devour his districts, And consume [them,] Because of their own counsels.
7. My people are bent on backsliding from Me. Though they call to the Most High, None at all exalt [Him.]
8. ” How can I give you up, Ephraim? [How] can I hand you over, Israel? How can I make you like Admah? [How] can I set you like Zeboiim? My heart churns within Me; My sympathy is stirred.
9. I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim. For I [am] God, and not man, The Holy One in your midst; And I will not come with terror.
10. “They shall walk after the LORD. He will roar like a lion. When He roars, Then [His] sons shall come trembling from the west;
11. They shall come trembling like a bird from Egypt, Like a dove from the land of Assyria. And I will let them dwell in their houses,” Says the LORD.
12. ” Ephraim has encircled Me with lies, And the house of Israel with deceit; But Judah still walks with God, Even with the Holy One [who is] faithful.