1. And it came to pass in the eleventh year, on the first [day] of the month, [that] the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
2. “Son of man, because Tyre has said against Jerusalem, ‘Aha! She is broken who [was] the gateway of the peoples; now she is turned over to me; I shall be filled; she is laid waste.’
3. “Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Behold, I [am] against you, O Tyre, and will cause many nations to come up against you, as the sea causes its waves to come up.
4. ‘And they shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her towers; I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.
5. ‘It shall be [a place for] spreading nets in the midst of the sea, for I have spoken,’ says the Lord GOD; ‘it shall become plunder for the nations.
6. ‘Also her daughter [villages] which [are] in the fields shall be slain by the sword. Then they shall know that I [am] the LORD.’
7. ” For thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Behold, I will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses, with chariots, and with horsemen, and an army with many people.
8. ‘He will slay with the sword your daughter [villages] in the fields; he will heap up a siege mound against you, build a wall against you, and raise a defense against you.
9. ‘He will direct his battering rams against your walls, and with his axes he will break down your towers.
10. ‘Because of the abundance of his horses, their dust will cover you; your walls will shake at the noise of the horsemen, the wagons, and the chariots, when he enters your gates, as men enter a city that has been breached.
11. ‘With the hooves of his horses he will trample all your streets; he will slay your people by the sword, and your strong pillars will fall to the ground.
12. ‘They will plunder your riches and pillage your merchandise; they will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses; they will lay your stones, your timber, and your soil in the midst of the water.
13. ‘I will put an end to the sound of your songs, and the sound of your harps shall be heard no more.
14. ‘I will make you like the top of a rock; you shall be [a place for] spreading nets, and you shall never be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken,’ says the Lord GOD.
15. ” Thus says the Lord GOD to Tyre: ‘Will the coastlands not shake at the sound of your fall, when the wounded cry, when slaughter is made in the midst of you?
16. ‘Then all the princes of the sea will come down from their thrones, lay aside their robes, and take off their embroidered garments; they will clothe themselves with trembling; they will sit on the ground, tremble [every] moment, and be astonished at you.
17. ‘And they will take up a lamentation for you, and say to you: “How you have perished, O one inhabited by seafaring men, O renowned city, Who was strong at sea, She and her inhabitants, Who caused their terror [to be] on all her inhabitants!
18. Now the coastlands tremble on the day of your fall; Yes, the coastlands by the sea are troubled at your departure.” ‘
19. ” For thus says the Lord GOD: ‘When I make you a desolate city, like cities that are not inhabited, when I bring the deep upon you, and great waters cover you,
20. ‘then I will bring you down with those who descend into the Pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lowest part of the earth, in places desolate from antiquity, with those who go down to the Pit, so that you may never be inhabited; and I shall establish glory in the land of the living.
21. ‘I will make you a terror, and you [shall be] no [more;] though you are sought for, you will never be found again,’ says the Lord GOD.”