1. Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth [month,] on the fifth [day] of the month, as I [was] among the captives by the River Chebar, [that] the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.
2. On the fifth [day] of the month, which [was] in the fifth year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity,
3. the word of the LORD came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the River Chebar; and the hand of the LORD was upon him there.
4. Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness [was] all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire.
5. Also from within it [came] the likeness of four living creatures. And this [was] their appearance: they had the likeness of a man.
6. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings.
7. Their legs [were] straight, and the soles of their feet [were] like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze.
8. The hands of a man [were] under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings.
9. Their wings touched one another. [The creatures] did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.
10. As for the likeness of their faces, [each] had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle.
11. Thus [were] their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two [wings] of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies.
12. And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.
13. As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance [was] like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning.
14. And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning.
15. Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel [was] on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces.
16. The appearance of the wheels and their workings [was] like the color of beryl, and all four had the same likeness. The appearance of their workings [was,] as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel.
17. When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went.
18. As for their rims, they were so high they were awesome; and their rims [were] full of eyes, all around the four of them.
19. When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up.
20. Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, [because] there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures [was] in the wheels.
21. When those went, [these] went; when those stood, [these] stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures [was] in the wheels.
22. The likeness of the firmament above the heads of the living creatures [was] like the color of an awesome crystal, stretched out over their heads.
23. And under the firmament their wings [spread out] straight, one toward another. Each one had two which covered one side, and each one had two which covered the other side of the body.
24. When they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of many waters, like the voice of the Almighty, a tumult like the noise of an army; and when they stood still, they let down their wings.
25. A voice came from above the firmament that [was] over their heads; whenever they stood, they let down their wings.
26. And above the firmament over their heads [was] the likeness of a throne, in appearance like a sapphire stone; on the likeness of the throne [was] a likeness with the appearance of a man high above it.
27. Also from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around.
28. Like the appearance of a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day, so [was] the appearance of the brightness all around it. This [was] the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. So when I saw [it,] I fell on my face, and I heard a voice of One speaking.